Hilton Travis has the versatility to be able to best represent you in Council
Hilton has had an interest in both politics and community building throughout his working life. He has retail, consulting, education, technician, advisory, and board experience including hospitals, TAFE, State Government, Information Technology, Audiovisual and the non-profit sector.
Hilton’s community building efforts
Hilton has been involved in community support and community building in one way or another right throughout his working life.
When it comes to the Small Business Information Technology world, Hilton was actively involved in many SBS User Groups right across Australia and the world. Eventually, these multiple Australian and New Zealand SBS User Groups were combined into the SMBiT Professionals organisation, of which Hilton was one of the original Board Members.
Due to his community work across Australia with the Microsoft Small Business Specialist Community, Hilton was selected by Microsoft Australia to be the Small Business Specialist Community Partner Area Lead (SBSC PAL) representing all of the Australian Small Business Specialists directly to Microsoft USA for the 2008-2009 year.
Hilton was voted in the Top 150 SMB IT Professionals (internationally) in both the 2012 and 2013 SMB150 Awards.
Alongside his work as an Audio Visual Engineer, Hilton ran many workshops and training sessions for local sound engineers across South East Queensland and right up through Central and Northern Queensland, helping not only to pass on sound engineering knowledge, but also to bring people and communities together.
Some of Hilton’s work history…
- Memorex Telex as an Information Technology Consultant and Technician
- Royal Brisbane Hospital in Histopathology
- St. Vincent’s Hospital, Toowoomba in both Payroll and also Information Technology
- Various medical practices (GPs, Specialists, Day Surgeries) as an Information Technology Consultant
- Qld Dept Communication, Information, Local Government, Planning and Sport as an Audio Visual and Information Technology Consultant
- QANTM (now SAE Qantm College) as an Information Technology Consultant and TAFE course Teacher
- Community Aid Abroad (now Oxfam Australia) as an Information Technology Consultant and on the IT Advisory Board
- Various Small and Medium Businesses as an Information Technology Consultant
- Worked a number of venues in and around South East Queensland and up through to Cairns as a Sound Engineer for many local and touring bands, including Men at Work, Def FX, Hoodoo Gurus, v.SPY v. SPY, The Screaming Jets, Vanessa Amorosi, Bomfunk MCs, Alice Cooper, Dave Weckl, as well as a number of both indoor and outdoor festivals and sporting events
- ABC TV as an Audio Assist for many television shows, sporting and other events including Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen’s funeral and the Steve Irwin Memorial
- BBC as an Audio Assist for Ashes Test Cricket
- Channel Nine as an Audio Assist for One Day Cricket
- Numerous corporate events as an Audio Visual Engineer providing sound, vision and web streaming services
- Humanist Chaplain/Carer through Humanist Society of Queensland and Humanist Australia
- Board Member of many non-profit organizations including SMBiT Professionals, Macleay Island Local Ambulance Committee, SMBI Listeners Inc., Bay Islands Conservation Inc, and SMBI Chamber of Commerce
- Regular attendee at and contributor to Network meetings such as those for Children and Early Years, Disability, Older People, Housing and Homelessness, and Mental Health
- Wildlife Rescuer and Carer